Why a network?
Plant conservation centres from a same floristic region can make a large contribution to conservation by running both ex situ and in situ joint and coordinated actions.
Cooperation allows developing common methodologies, applied technical and scientific know-how and information-sharing.
Who is involved?
Local and regional authorities, national bodies, universities and research centres from 12 different EU and non-EU countries in the Mediterranean basin.
Mission and objectives
GENMEDA mission is to contribute to the conservation of Mediterranean flora genetic resources through the following objectives:
- Enhancement of human capital, equipments and methodologies to boost flora conservation applied knowledge.
- Harvesting of most threatened species genetic materials and creating, as far as possible, living plant collections.
- Creation of a virtual common collection of vegetal genetic and reproduction materials.
- Planning of joint initiatives concerning flora conservation and/or management
- Backing-up the making-decision processes of flora conservation public policies
- Support of environmental education and public awareness on biodiversity conservation.
All 13 GENMEDA founding members were partners in the SEMCLIMED project. They are the following:
- Centre for Forestry Research and Experimentation (CIEF), Spain
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), Greece
- Jardí Botànic de Barcelona (JBB), Spain
- Conservatoire Botanique National Méditerranéen of Porquerolles (CBNMed), France
- Center of Conservation of Wild Flora of the Region of Murcia (CCFS), Spain
- Fundació Jardí Botànic de Sòller (JBS), Spain
- University of Catania - Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences (DBS), Italy
- CIHEAM Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh), Greece
- University of Cagliari - Hortus Botanicus Karalitanus (HBK), Italy
- Botanic Garden of the University of Valencia (JBUV), Spain
- Argotti Herbarium of the University of Malta (AHUM), Malta
- Institut Scientifique de Rabat (ISR), Morocco
- Mansoura University, Faculty of Science (FSUM), Egypt
Gianluigi BACCHETTA (Universita’ degli Studi di Cagliari, Italy)
Panagiota (Yiota) GOTSIOU (CIHEAM MAICh, Greece)
Steering Committee coordinator
Josep M. MONTSERRAT (Institut Botànic - Jardí Botànic de Barcelona, Spain)
Steering Committee members
Lara DIXON (Conservatoire Botanique National Méditerranéen de Porquerolles)
Gianpietro GIUSSO DEL GALDO (Università degli Studi di Catania, Italy)
Josep Lluís GRADAILLE (Fundació Jardí Botànic de Sóller, Spain)
Emilio LAGUNA (Centre for Forest Applied Research, Valencia, Spain)
Costas THANOS (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece)